1. the act of constructing or building something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
(hypernym) creating from raw materials
(hyponym) crenelation, crenellation
(derivation) construct, build, make
2. the commercial activity involved in constructing buildings; "their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades"
(hypernym) commercial enterprise, business enterprise, business
3. a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
(hypernym) artifact, artefact
(hyponym) airdock, hangar, repair shed
(part-meronym) foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure
4. a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
(synonym) grammatical construction, expression
(hypernym) constituent, grammatical constituent
5. the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
(synonym) mental synthesis
(hypernym) thinking, thought, cerebration, intellection, mentation
6. an interpretation of a text or action; "they put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct"
7. drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"
(hypernym) mathematical process, mathematical operation, operation