1. determined by mathematical computation; "the calculated velocity of a bullet"; "a derived value"
2. formed or developed from something else; not original; "the belief that classes and organizations are secondary and derived"- John Dewey
(similar) copied, traced
1. reason by deduction; establish by deduction
(synonym) deduce, infer, deduct
(hypernym) reason, reason out, conclude
(classification) logic, logical system, system of logic
2. obtain; "derive pleasure from one's garden"
(hyponym) reap, draw
3. come from; "The present name derives from an older form"
(verb-group) come, descend
4. develop or evolve, especially from a latent or potential state
(hypernym) make, create
(hyponym) etymologize, etymologise
5. come from; be connected by a relationship of blood, for example; "She was descended from an old Italian noble family"; "he comes from humble origins"
(synonym) come, descend
(verb-group) hail, come